Good news for all our lady friends! As of yesterday, 47 million women will get greater control over their healthcare without any out of pocket spending, Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced.
According to a new HHS report also released today, approximately 47 million women are in health plans that must cover these new preventive services at no charge. Women, not insurance companies, can now make health decisions that will keep them healthy, catch potentially serious conditions at an earlier state, and protect them and their families from crushing medical bills.
The new prevention-related services now offered are:
- Well-woman visits
- Gestational diabetes screening that helps protect pregnant women from one of the most serious pregnancy-related diseases
- Domestic and interpersonal violence screening and counseling
- FDA-approved contraceptive methods, and contraceptive education and counseling
- Breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling
- HPV DNA testing, for women 30 or older
- Sexually transmitted infections counseling for sexually-active women
- HIV screening and counseling for sexually-active women
Obamacare has already helped women in private plans and Medicare access potentially life saving test and services without paying coinsurance or deductibles. With today’s announcement, insurance companies will now offer the above services without a copay. Additional benefits extend to women who are pregnant or nursing, such as gestational diabetes screening, breast-feeding support, counseling and supplies.
To learn more about the aforementioned health care services, visit http://www.healthcare.gov/prevention.